Thursday, July 6, 2017

4th Fun

If you've been around here a while (or know me at all...), you know that holiday and family traditions are among my favorite things to cultivate inside our four walls.  

It is my firm belief that, though we inherit history, we also create it.  In between the menial tasks of dishes and laundry, it is this calling that keeps me pushing forward: to set in motion a narrative that fills the heart and souls of my children; a narrative that will bring delight in times of joy, and echo in their minds at the moments when they most need direction.  A narrative of heroes and home and life well lived that can be gladly handed down.



And so our narrative begins.  It is a legacy of red-white-and-blue pancakes and crisp bacon, eagerly anticipated. 


Of crafting during a reading of the Declaration of Independence.



Of patio lunches and lemonade in the shade, while John Phillip Sousa's works blast their patriotic refrain. 



Of backyard obstacle courses,


and potato sack races.


A legacy of love, hugs and laughter.  A holding place for all that is beautiful, holy and worth having.  


"The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life." - George Eliot, Middlemarch







It is worth recording: this was my favorite Fourth with miss Livvy Joy.  Oh my.  Her enthusiasm and awe were palpable.  Her sweet little voice laughed and rejoiced with pure wonder at each explosion in the sky.  The colors, sounds and textures overwhelmed her in the most beautiful ways possible.  

Oh that we should all experience life that way!


Plus, life is just sweeter when there's a baby to share it with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com