Monday, August 28, 2017

A letter to my son

Sweet boy,

You won't remember the day like I do.  The day I walked (and walked and walked) and prayed and talked to you and smiled throughout one whole night and another whole day.  You won't remember how I whispered to you over and over again, encouraging you and wishing you into the world.  You won't remember the monumental effort it took to get you out, or the the way I laughed and cried when I finally (FINALLY!) saw your little face.

You won't remember how much I cherished you in that warm hospital blanket.


You won't remember the sleepless year that followed.  The thousands of kisses.  The belly laughs.  The first bites of food.  You won't remember how I watched, breathless, as you took your first steps.

It is my honor as your mother to carry the moments you'll never remember for both of us, allowing them to lay the path on the road to the man you are meant to be.  YOU are going to be something else, my wonderful son.  

At five, you are beloved of everyone who meets you.  You bring smiles and joy.  You give the very best hugs.  You are so funny, full of motion and sometimes even wild.  Your grin, with its missing front tooth, lights up every room you enter.  

I love you with a fierce devotion that defies measurement.  I see the way you have grown in this last year, the way your puffy hands and legs have lengthened and become strong and certain.  I love them at five; but it is a love that carries with it the memory of tiny fingers, of chubby, wobbly legs and a soft body that once sought comfort and rest inside my embrace. 



  You are growing into the most amazing you.  I'm so grateful to get to be a part of it.  

All my love and hugs, precious boy,

xoxo
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com