Friday, January 17, 2014

Books to read in 2014

When I was in high school and college, I devoured books.  I read them adamantly.  Shakespeare, Chaucer, Austen, Steinbeck, King, Bronte - and that doesn't even begin to touch the books I read just because I love them (cough, Harry Potter 36 times).  

I could sit down with a book, read all day and have it finished before dinner.  The first Twilight - which I read as part of one of my Masters classes, because I have the best job in the world - I read in about 5 non-stop hours.  And if I recall correctly, the second I closed it there was a late-night Barnes and Noble run for the second.

Ahhhh, those were the days...

Two children in, I can't even remember the last time I read a book start to finish without a massive chasm of interruption and tasks to complete until I can't recall the names of the characters, let alone the plot of the story.

Partly, it's because I'm a snob.  I want to read a book that I absolutely fall in love with and can't put down.  These days, I totally judge a book by its cover.  If I'm not convinced I'm going to love it, I instantly decide it's not worth my investment of time.  I used to love going to the library, picking up a book at random and reading it just for the heck of it.  Anymore, that idea seems like a gigantic waste of energy.

But the time has come that I miss reading, and so one of my goals for the year is to do it a little more often.  Because, let's face it, my days of reading are limited again; come August, my brain will be mush and I'll go back to collapsing into bed completely and totally spent - if I'm even that lucky.  

So here's the list.  I'm starting small, they're books I'm pretty sure I can get through - even though they're a far cry from, you know, Shakespeare and Bronte of my days of yore...

No time like the present to start prepping.  I'm seriously hoping the library has this one, since on Amazon it can be mine for the low, low price of $58.99.  Yeah - that's not happening!



One of my greatest goals in parenting.  Whatever else happens, if I raise kids who love God and love each other, mission = accomplished.



'Cause... so cool.  Nuff said.



Sally Clarkson is my hero.  I absolutely adore her wisdom, humor and commitment to raising whole, Godly children.  I read this one, and if you haven't, borrow my copy!  You won't regret it!



Because, well, teen fiction has never failed me before...


So there you have it!  Five books in the next 7 months.  Once upon a time, I would have scoffed at that number, but sadly I'm pretty sure it's close to the same number of books I've read since Leah's been born, if you don't count kids' books.  I get an A in kids books, so that's not nothing... right? 

How about you?  Any suggestions for this outta-the-game-gal?  Any books you're dying to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com