Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Award goes to...

When I was little {okay, maybe not as little as you'd want me to be given what I'm about to admit}, I used to practice my Acceptance Speech. You know, just in case I ever won an Oscar. Or a Tony. Or a Grammy. Or a Nobel Prize, although I'm not entirely sure they let you make a speech there since they're all super smart/nerdy scientist-peace-enthusiast types. Mostly I practiced it in the shower, or in front of the mirror with my hairbrush as my microphone.  It may also have involved what I like to call the Halle Berry, where I get all choked up, overuse the phrase "oh my God!" and gush about how totally unexpected it is.

Please, tell me I'm not the only narcissist who did this?

And, although my attire is much less glam than I had imagined it would be, given that I'm still in my jammies and sipping coffee, I FINALLY GET TO GIVE MY SPEECH!!!

I was nominated for a LIEBSTER award, and I'm totally geekin' out about it!  Wahoo!!!  OhmyGod, this is so unexpected!



First, I would like to thank the Academy.  Because that's tradition, and it makes it sound like I'm super humble and never imagined I would actually win.

I also want to give shout outs to Darcy of The Ruffled Stitch and Sarah at Church Street Designs for the nomination.  You gals?  You're pretty wicked awesome.

In return, I am nominating the extraordinary talents of the lovely ladies at these sites:

  • Sara at Brainstorm In Bloom - awesome elementary-age resources, tips and tricks from a classroom teacher who's been there. 
  • Andrea at Unschool the Teacher - creativity and practicality all rolled into one neat little package!  Resources for toddlers and pre-K with a twist (they're awesome!)
  • Kimberly at Quirky Cool Blog - for edgy takes on upcycling that are as do-able as they are clever.  Love.
  • Tricia at Raising Humans - stories of down-to-earth motherhood that we can all relate to, told with vivid heart.
  • Tonya at Pails of Paint - because I'm super jealous of her mad skills.
  • My lovely friend Cindy - because she's a funny, fab mom to two incredibly adorable little girls.  Seriously, how cute are they?!
Compiled from the lists made by the two lovely bloggers who nominated me, here are my "get to know me" questions:
1. What made you want to start blogging?
     I was that kid who always had a notebook under her arm in which to jot random thoughts, back when the internet was new and I had to walk to school barefoot and uphill both ways.  I can't keep anything in my brain for more than about five minutes, so blogging was initially an opportunity to remember those precious moments with my littles.  Now that I'm home full time, it's an chance to connect, a creative outlet, and opportunity to share my triumphs and challenges and hear those of others in return.

2. What is something you have learned lately?
     I am on a crazy journey.  After a very eye-opening trip to our pediatrician, I'm no longer buying my bread - I'm making it!  I'm learning about natural family planning.  I'm learning how not to kill the plants growing in my backyard.  I'm learning how to sew.  Giving up my day job has opened up all kinds of doors to a bunch of hippie stuff I'd never imagined I would dabble in, go figure. 

3. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
     Paris.  Seriously, Paris.  I'm dying to go to Paris, so if you know anyone who can hook me up, send them my way.  I'd Carrie Bradshaw it up in Paris.

4. Favorite season and why?
     Fall.  I could list about 30 reasons, but I'll stop after Pumpkin Spice Latte.  'Nough said.

5.  If you had to live in a decade other than the current one, what would you choose?  
     I love this question.  I'm convinced I belong in the 1940's.  Or perhaps in England as a member of Downton Abbey circa 1919.  Except I'd probably suck at both because a) I'm a girl and b) I have opinions.  I hear that didn't work out for lots of people at those times.

6. Cheesecake or normal cake?
     Um, seriously, does this even require an answer?  CHEESECAKE!  For sure.

7. If all jobs paid the same, what would you choose to do?
     I am so lucky, because in this arena, all my dreams have come true.  I was a teacher, now I get to stay home full time.  Right?  It doesn't get any better!  But I like to think that in a past life I was a party planner or designer of some sort.  

8. Do you follow directions/recipes/instructions or wing it?
     I'm a follower.  I follow rules, instructions, directions, etc, but not recipes because I'm a wild, crazy rebel in the kitchen.  

9. Are you more of an early bird or a night owl?
     I wish, wish, wish I wasn't, but I am absolutely a night owl.  One who always has to get up early on account of the tiny terrorists who live with me and demand I wake up to love, feed and care for them.  They're really getting in the way of my snoozing, by the way.  

10. The beach or the mountains?
     The mountains.  The beach.  I can't decide and would love either.  Give me mountains on the beach.  In Paris.  I'm game.  

  11. Name one of your pet peeves.
     People with those COEXIST stickers on their cars.  Because, inevitably, those people drive like the biggest DBs in the universe.  Seriously - people are fighting legitimate wars over legitimate, lifechanging and life-threatening issues.  You can't even share the road.  Get over yourself.  (and don't hate me if you have one of those on the back of your car, I'm sure you're an excellent driver)

Some quid pro quo once you've been nominated:

1} You must link back to the person who nominated you.
2} You must answer the 11 questions given to you by your nominator.
3} You must pick other bloggers, each with under 200 subscribers, to be nominated for the award.
4} You must come up with 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
5} You must go their blogs and notify them of their nomination.

These questions are to you:
1. Which fictional character do you most identify with?
2. What song would you pick as the soundtrack of your life?
3. Name your favorite childhood toy.
4. Explain why you blog in 15 words or less.
5. What is the most unusual thing to happen to you while on vacation?
6. Chocolate or vanilla?
7. Thing (food or otherwise) you crave most often?
8. You are a closet _______ fan. 
9. Movie you can't help but cry while watching.
10. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
11. If I could be in a room with anyone throughout history, I would choose ____________ because...

Thanks again for reading!  I'm glad you're here!!!

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading your answers!! You are to funny! And agreed, cheesecake all the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like cheesecake needs a "woohoo!" after we say it. Thanks again for nominating me, I had fun searching for blogs and answering the questions. I loved your fall bucket list, by the way. I'm all about anything with pumpkin in it, much to my family's chagrin.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for nominating my blog for the award too! I better get on my answers so I can pay it forward and nominate some others! Love it!
    Oh hey, I just started making my own bread as well and am lovin' it. My fave addition currently is to throw 1/4-1/2 cup of sunflower seeds in - might be the season or something - who knows - it is just good! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog ROCKS, you deserve it. I absolutely have sunflower seeds sitting in that obnoxious cabinet above my microwave that is too small to do much with but store random cooking supplies - I will try that (after carefully checking the expiration date!). Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! You really made my day :) Thanks for the great compliment. I will answer the questions and blog about it as soon as I can! Love reading about your life and all that you're doing with your sweet little family. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my "paying it forward" Liebster Award post and thought I would share the link with you. Thanks again!
    http://brainstorminbloom.blogspot.com/2013/10/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com