Thursday, April 23, 2015

The last day of kindergarten.

Well, the last day of school has come and gone, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you at least a little bit about it.

Leah Madeline, last day of Kindergarten 2015.  Age 5.

The kids celebrated their accomplishments this year with what we call Finale Night.  I wish I could tell you that I took lots of pictures, but as Casey was out of town... well, I do the best I can.


They were absolutely adorable.  The group recited the presidents in order from Washington to Obama, and then each class got to do a quick presentation as well.  Leah was so excited, as she was responsible for pointing out Montpelier, Vermont on the map by herself in front of the audience.  There was a dessert reception afterward, and our Nana, Mimi and Poppy attended with us.  She was so very proud of herself!

I just can't believe how much she has learned this year.  It stuns me to listen to her, and the sophistication with which she can speak about so many subjects that she really has no context for.
 
"Look, Mommy!  I made water with my snack!  Two hydrogens and one oxygen!"

At her five year check up, our pediatrician was telling me a story about how her grandfather attended one of the schools that was first to be integrated in the south.  Without missing a beat, Leah chimed in, "are you talking about Brown vs. the Board of Education?"  OH, how the doctor's mouth dropped open as she said, "I am!  What do YOU know about Brown vs. the Board of Education?!"  It was just priceless.


It has been such a wonderful year.  Homeschooling is such a blessing to our family.  Even though it is tough sometimes, I can't imagine that we would do anything else.  I don't know exactly where or how far this journey will take us, but we are so very happy to be able to spend this time together now.



Everyone in our family loves to learn!


Besides that, one of the beautiful things about homeschooling is that we're not bound by pesky little things like schedules, or whether school is "out" or "in."


We can learn anywhere, any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com