Saturday, January 26, 2013

Parenting: it's not all about me?

The plan for me and my chubby little guy was to breastfeed exclusively until 6 months. 

The first time around, I read a ton of research that touted exclusively breastfeeding as one of the healthiest things you can do for your baby.

I caved a little early with Leah because I was going back to work and I wanted to see if I could help her sleep longer at night.

With Logan, I decided that, come hell or high water, we were mkaing it to 6 months on breastmilk.

Then, we saw the doctor.  Who asked me if he was showing any interest in table food.  And, since he watches table food like a fat kid in a candy store, I had to confirm that, yes, in fact, he does.

"It's best to start them on solid foods when they're showing interest."

Well, I appreciate your opinion, doc, but I have a plan.  You see, we're not starting until 6 months, thankyouverymuch

Please pardon my nursing shirt.  He's been sick so we've been doing the comfort-nursing gig quite often.
Yeah.  See how well that worked out?



And there is no question that my kid loves food.  He was all about the rice cereal.  Nary a revolted face was made.  (Which is kind of too bad, because the revolted how could you do that to me? faces are sort of the best part about starting them on solids.)  He didn't even spit it out; in fact, he kept lunging forward trying to get more.

My poor little sick guy was super proud of himself, and totally into his new-found flavors.


Sigh.  Mission accomplished, big boy.  It looks like it was just the right time after all. 

Sometimes in this business, you just have to get out of the way and let them do what they're going to do.  Even when it isn't part of the plan.  I'm not gonna lie, I kinda hate that about parenting. 

Next up?  Carrots.  Time to break out the icecube trays!

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com