Monday, March 10, 2014

A letter to my four year old

My wonderful four year old girl,

They warned me, back when you were really just a dream inside my very round belly.  Those strangers who wisely proclaimed, "enjoy every moment.  It goes so fast."  They were right.  My tiny, fragile new baby with her overeager, overprotective and overawed new mommy.

Someday, my beautiful darling, when you hold your very first baby for the very first time, you too will know a love that takes you over, body and soul, and claims you as an entirely new being: a creature the stuff dreams are made of; someone named mom.

What they do not tell you is how wonderfully amazing the journey will be.  Four little years, but so much has changed and - though it's cliche and I say it every year - the truth is that I love you more each day.  To see you grow into the most amazing child: someone who is strong and brave, who is smart, kind and oh so loving.  Someone who seeks to do right.  Someone with such compassion and maturity for one so young. Someone who loves God and her family, reading and learning, and has a kickin' vocabulary and voice of her own - which she isn't afraid to use, I might add.

I know that the years to come will bring more change, but in my heart I hope that these values will stay with you and become the cornerstone of who you are.  Because, let's face it, in my humble and totally biased opinion, you are completely awesome.

You fill my days with words.  So many that sometimes I reach the end of the day completely exhausted and spent, wishing for nothing more than silence.  But the truth is that I wouldn't have it any other way. That great big mind of yours finds wonder and delight in everything around you, and far be it from me to stifle your curiosity or opinions.

Sometimes I long for the days that I could be both your momma and your friend.  The days when your desires ran entirely in sync with my own.  While I may not always be able to let you do everything you want, when you want it, know that you are loved enough for me to know when to say no.  Loved enough that your mommy wants you to become the very best version of yourself.

Whatever else may change, that one thing will always remain constant: You are so loved.  So, so very loved.

Happy birthday, my beautiful girl.

xoxo,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com