Saturday, October 3, 2015

The seven year ich

Marriage is one of those funny things that is both simple and complex at the same time.



What could be easier than saying "I do" to the person you love most in the world?

Still, once the sun sets on that single day - the one and only day that your marriage looks like the stuff of fairytales - the work of molding two separate lives into a one becomes painfully apparent.  


What comes next - the building of a life, the starting of a family, the success or failure of each day - is all based on forging choices and priorities.  


The choice to set aside self. Choosing to act with humility and tenderness when raging pride, anger or hurt rears its head.  To work hard when it feels easier to give up.  To live every day, sometimes every hour of your married life with intentionality and purpose with no real guarantee that your spouse can or is doing the same.  



It is a process that refines and strengthens us, that prepares and equips us for everything else along the path that is unfolding from the moment we slip those rings on our finger.  

And I'm reminded on this, our seven year anniversary, that the man I chose to stand by my side through all of life's ups and downs, is truly a blessing from God.  

“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful,” Hebrews 10:23


Unswerving.  

Because every day that I wake up with this ring on my finger, married to the love of my life, is a gift and a blessing.  Every day is not easy.  Not every day is perfect.  

But the truth is that there is no one in this whole, wide world that I would rather navigate this messy thing called life with.  I know he will keep working hard and fighting for our family to have, not just a life, but the best life we are capable of living.  And so will I.

Happy anniversary to the love of my life, my best friend and my husband.  I love you more with each day that passes, and I hope I make you as happy as you make me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com