Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sick


I don't know that I would have believed it a few months ago, but being sick as a pregnant lady is infinitely worse than being sick normally. Really, nothing is different...
Except it's terrifying.
There are so many precautions we are supposed to take anyway, that having any kind of an illness is just over the top. I have been feeling poorly for about 3 days - coughing and runny nose, not a big deal. But the one thing that my OBGYN kept reiterating was that if I develop a fever over 100.5 degrees, I needed to be seen right away.
When I went to bed last night, my temp was almost at 100. I wanted to wake up to check it throughout the night, but Casey assured me I'd be fine. So, when I woke up at 5 with a temperature of 100.6, I was pretty freaked out.
As per my doctor, I went to an urgent care center right away. Unfortunately, though, they had absolutely no idea why my doctor would recommend I go to the doctor, since there was really nothing they could do for me. They don't check the baby unless I'm at 20 weeks, which obviously I'm not. And they can't do anything to bring my fever down that I couldn't already do at home.
I called the on-call nurse at my hospital, and the big reason they are concerned is because of the flu that is going around. So evidently I need to find a physician who is testing for the flu, which, as it turns out, is easier said than done. The family practices are all happy to see me, but they are not testing for the flu right now... which seems a little silly.
It is very nerve-wracking to have all of this going on, and have to be responsible for the little life I love so much. Being a mommy is a scary thing in some ways - and this is just my first little forray into it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com