Monday, February 25, 2013

P(r)esto!

If you've seen me - especially since having my second - you know that I'm no stranger to food.  Although I'm trying (for whatever that's worth) to diet, it's more the kind where I try to only have two servings rather than three.  Score one for self-restraint.

But I digress.

My husband - the man who weighed the same from the time he turned 15 until last year - is in love with tortellini and pesto.  In his long-ago single days, it was one of the three meals he survived on in rotation (the other two being quesadillas and out-of-the-box instant mashed potatoes.  Yes, I also resent that he doesn't weigh 300 pounds). 

Luckily, with whole-wheat tortellini, this isn't a bad diet food.  Particularly if you can limit yourself to one serving instead of two... but good luck with that.
 
Pesto Sauce (enough for 16 oz tortellini):
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 bunches fresh basil
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup parmesean cheese
Juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In food processor - puree garlic, basil and pine nuts to coarse chop.  Mix in parmesean cheese.  Slowly add olive oil until well blended.  Add lemon, salt and pepper to taste.

The best part about this recipe is that you really can't go wrong.  It's super fast, easy and there is no such thing as a mistake. 

And also, it's one of the few recipes that guarantees Casey is going to eat more than I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com