Thursday, June 13, 2013

The view from up here is fine

The number of moments on which I'm forced to confront the fact that I am a super-adult! are becoming increasingly hard to ignore.

For example, we recently spent a few days in Colorado Springs, which is located about an hour and a half from our house.  Leah, Logan and I were driving down as a threesome, because we were joining Casey who was working down there.  I was just giving myself props for how we'll I'd orchestrated the whole driving thing - everybody fed and entertained, Logan's nap perfectly timed for our arrival, Leah happily singing away - when a little voice rose from the back.

"Mommy, I have to go potty." 

That's cool, I can handle that.  Except that we were on the highway.  With nary a nasty, germ-filled gas station bathroom in sight.  What's a traveling mom to do?

The answer, as Jeff Goldblum told us right before a T-Rex crashed through the bathroom, is: when you gotta go, you gotta go.  Even if you're on the highway in the middle of nowhere. 

And we did.  And it was the first of many girly things I'll teach Leah throughout her life.  Cure cancer?  No.  Squat on the side of the road without dripping on your shoes or shorts?  I'm your gal.

See what I mean about being a super-adult?  (You might think I'd have caught on either time I made people, but nope.  Even hormonal teens can do that.  Being a super-adult! is when it hits you that you've become your parents.)

The windows in our house are awful.  I'm pretty sure the inspector tried to tell me this before we bought the house, but, in the scheme of everything else that was wrong, windows didn't crack my top ten.  In hindsight, they probably should have, because let me tell you - windows cost a pretty penny to replace.  And our windows aren't wimpy little windows.  They're the giant kind; the kind that a window company will happily charge you double for, and there are quite a lot of them.   

But since Leah's window didn't even have a screen and one of the panes of glass was broken, and since none of the windows did what they are supposed to do in terms of actually keeping out heat, cold, water or bugs, it seems like a good thing to invest in.

Before:
 
A little construction...


 
Ta-Da!
 
After:

 
The master bedroom was pretty bad too:
 
 
and the screens looked like this:
 
 
Yuck.
 
After:
 
 
Look at that big, beautiful window!  It's like Christmas morning in a frame.
 
Yes, these are the things I get excited about now that I'm a super-adult-exclamation-point.  We only did the upper level, because it took our entire tax return and most of Leah's college education to have these done.  But I think they're pretty snazzy.  And they do cool things, like not letting bugs in, and keeping the outdoor temperatures... wait for it... outdoors!  What a concept!

And, in case you're wondering, I get excited about my Dyson vacuum cleaner, too.  Super Adults, unite.

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com