Monday, April 29, 2013

Great and tiny heritage.

 
During my devotional last night, I was asked to consider the following verse as it applies to motherhood:
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him."
Psalm127:3
 
I wanted to share my response.  In no way is it meant to be preachy.  I'm posting it in the hopes that it will encourage someone who is struggling with some of the same things I am struggling with on their mother's journey.
 
This verse reminds me of what a sacred bond exists between mother and child.  Not simply a gift or a joy, but a very intentional, divinely-inspired pairing.  My job here is not little - "to whom much is given, much is expected."  My approach, then, must always have God as the foundation.  Love, service, integrity, honesty, grace and prayer.  To love in the way God intended: with patience, kindness, selflessness, hope and perseverence. 
 
Emphasis for mothering small children: PATIENCE AND SELFLESSNESS.
 
These precious ones are not burdens - no, not even when Leah throws all her shoes on the floor or runs a sink full of water and fills it with toilet paper or Logan wakes up four times in five hours.  They are my gifts, my heritage and reward from the Lord.
 
The prayer of my mother's heart:
Lord God, please instruct me in your ways so that I might love as you have loved me.  That I may put aside my own desires and instincts to give love and guide with wisdom while expecting nothing in return.  Thank you, thank you for my two beautiful blessings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com