Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nostalgia

One year ago.  It was one of the most significant days of my entire life! 

Obviously, the day she was born takes the cake, followed immediately by the day we found out we were pregnant in terms of the sheer enormity of the day.  But this one is a close third:


I know that everyone has their own preference, but I was *SO* glad we found out the gender of our baby.  I can't help but smile at what an amazing connection it helped me have to our little daughter.  I didn't know that I could have felt any closer to her, and then - completely unexpectedly - it became instantly clear that knowing her gender absolutely changed my pregnancy.

I know the classic argument is that it's the last big surprise in life - but I couldn't have been more surprised.  I thought for SURE we were having a boy.  And although I was secretly hoping for a girl, there was no way I could be disappointed.  More than anything else, I just wanted a healthy baby. 

Except for one thing: I had this dream one night before we knew the gender.   A vivid dream that seemed so real, I literally woke up with a smile on my face. A dream in which we had a beautiful baby girl.  I had such longing for that baby girl... when I woke up, I felt horribly guilty!  I didn't want to feel disappointed if we found out that it was a boy!  That same night, Jessica also had a dream that we had a baby girl.


 
Of course, in the end, I obviously wound up with my wish.  No way would I change a thing.

And, I have to gloat the teensiest little bit.  The cake was a wicked clever idea.  Not that it was originally my idea (I stole it from a friend of mine who stole it from someone else), but boy did it turn out to be an amazing experience and memory!!!

How we loved you, pink cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com