Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick or Treat: Take One

Halloween night arrived with pomp and circumstance in our house. 

Our traditional Halloween dinner was eaten: broccoli cheese soup and garlic bread.  But it was both made and eaten in a rush, since we had to hurry out the door so that this little witch could experience her first trick or treating.

I don't know if in 20 years I will still remember the joy I felt watching that little lady run joyfully up and down our street, pumpmkin bucket in hand, her tiny feet flying across the pavement.  I hope the image will stay in my mind, because it was a moment of sheer perfection. 



That girl is absolutely, unquestionably her mother's child, because she was so darned excited!  She couldn't get from house to house fast enough.  She had her "trick or treat!" (really, it came out, "Treat!") down when neighbors opened the door, and said thank you after she placed each piece of candy in her bucket. 

A look of excitement and awe lit that pretty little face all night long.  It was perfect. She brings so much joy to her mommy's heart! 

Afterward, of course, we had to enjoy the spoils of her hard work, and she was pretty excited about that, too!



Halloween should never be on a Monday, because, truth be told, we didn't have very many trick-or-treaters and many of the houses in our neighborhood were dark, which is totally unusual. 
 
But, Daddy and I kept up our tradition and watched a scary movie after the little went to bed.  We also had to get a few shots of our hard work.

I can't tell you how much I love to hear the happy, awes and even sometimes slightly fearful squeals of the little ghosts and goblins as they come up our walk!  As we were trick-or-treating, we heard some kids yelling, "Don't be such a scardy cat!  Come ON!" to one of their friends who didn't want to go up to the door.  I am such a geek, but I LIVE for those moments!
 
We have been lucky to have a truly wonderful October, and I'll admit that I'm a little sad to see it come to an end.  Fortunately, the holiday season continues!
Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com