Sunday, November 13, 2011

The truth about faking it

"Guys can fake it?  Unbelievable!  The one thing that's ours!"

No, no, no.  Move your mouse away from that X!  Don't close me down before you hear me out... That's not the kind of faking it I'm talking about.  (Although I've watched waaay too much Friends to avoid that little reference.)

I'm talking about faking it, attitude style. 

My mom used to tell me that life isn't about what happens to you, it's about how you choose to handle it.  I've always believed that to be true, and I think it's an idea I've lived out in my actions during some pretty tough times.  That being said... I think it's fair to say I haven't handled things very well recently.  And I can't seem to get a handle on my emotions, either.   

Since that addage is currently failing me, I'm heading directly to the other piece of advice my mom always used to give: Sometimes, you gotta fake it 'till you can make it.

In high school, when I would complain about having to go to this rehearsal or that practice or this event, saying I was too tired or had too much homework or just didn't want to go, Mom would tell me to just go and pretend to have a good time.  So I'd get myself together, put on a big, show-y smile, and before I knew it?  My feigned enthusiasm turned into genuine enjoyment. 

See?  Faking it. 

So because I can't seem to muster any genuine enthusiasm, I'm gonna fake it, and keep my fingers crossed that before too long, it won't be a front. 

Without further ado, here's my Sunday night thankful: I'm grateful for Eggnog.



Yup.  Creamy, smooth, delicious.  And I don't care that it's not Christmas time yet... pouring it in my morning coffee makes for one happy Momma.

And that's without the alcohol, in case you were keeping score.

No comments:

Post a Comment



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com