Thursday, January 26, 2012

No blood is always better than some blood.

...My doctor says sagely when I call to report what I'm seeing in my underware.

Yeah, you think? 

It started yesterday, and I have to say, although I've had some of this before, I was pretty alarmed at the amount of spotting I was greeted with.  Since I was at work, there wasn't much I could do about it.  I drank a ton of water, and I sat down.  It seemed to stop, and I didn't worry too much about it for the rest of the day.

But it started again when I got home, and by then I was pretty freaked out.

"We'd like you to come in for an ultrasound as soon as possible, given your history with loss."

So I scheduled an appointment for today.  And even though I could tell there was nowhere near enough blood to signify a miscarriage, it totally freaked me out.  Enough that I stayed home from work today.  The doctor says there's really nothing you can do; bedrest isn't actually a miscarriage preventer.  But it still made me feel better.

I waited all darn day for that ultrasound.  And I prayed.  I know there's nothing else to do.

When the image finally came on the screen, the first thing I saw was our wiggly little 9 week old fetus, which has now grown hands (and might have been sucking a thumb... or the arms just aren't long enough for it to look any different!).  Yes, that blob on an ultrasound has certainly changed amazingly in the last two weeks.

Heartbeat?  Strong and healthy 167 bpm.  Thank you, God. 

And so we're fine after our little scare.  I can't begin to express my relief and gratitude. 

As an added bonus, we saw Leah's birth announcement, which, almost two years later, is still posted at the patient check-in window for OB at Boulder Community.  I thought that was pretty stinkin' cool!  Though to be fair, everything looks sunnier after seeing that little healthy heartbeat... :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I am so glad this ended happily. I had a feeling it was, but while I was reading it, I got a little nervous! How scary to have to wonder, but I am so glad everything is okay. You are so right, this baby is yours to be held! Can't wait to find out what you're having :) are you gonna do another gender party?

    ReplyDelete



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com