Monday, September 27, 2010

A Week of Meals

First, I was pregnant, and handling food wasn't my favorite pass time.

Then, I was a brand new mother with a brand new baby and practically no sleep.

Whatever the cause, the bottom line is that I haven't exactly been much for cooking in recent... er... months. 

It's true: I've been in a rut.  Which is sad, seeing as I usually really like to cook.  As I've come back into preparing meals since Leah was born, I've been stuck in a Groundhog's Day of recipes that just get used again and again. 

So, I've decided to venture out of my cooking comfort zone and try a few things. 

Every night this week, I'm going to try a new (or newish) recipe.  YUM!

MONDAY
Out of character for me, I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website.  Typically, I tend to invent my own recipes and work them over until they're perfect - for my tastes, anyway.  But I made this tonight without modifying (much) and it turned out quite well!



2 chicken breasts, chopped and cooked
8 oz rotini pasta, cooked and drained
1 1/4 C. milk
2 eggs
6 oz can artichoke hearts
2 C. frozen spinach
2 C. cheese (I used Mexican blend because that's what I had on hand, even though the recipe calls for Monterey Jack)
1 TBSP melted butter
1 1/2 C. panko breadcrumbs
1/2 C. parmesean cheese
Garlic salt, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, paprika

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook pasta and add spinach; cook chicken using desired spices.
2. In large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.  Drain pasta and add.  Add chicken, artichoke hearts and cheese.  Season as desired.  Pour into greased 13x9 baking dish.  Cover, bake 20 minutes.
3. In small bowl, combine melted butter, breadcrumbs, paprika and parmesean cheese.  Top chicken mix with breadcrumbs and bake uncovered additional 10 minutes.

Served with: broccoli and garlic bread.
Not bad for a Monday evening.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. that sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I get in ruts too, I'll for sure try this!

    ReplyDelete



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com